Sunday, November 13, 2005

Casuality of War

Mike at Eternal Perspectivs is hanging up his pen.

I can empathize with his sentiments. There have been times when I have stirred up controversy and fights on the Internet - sometimes inadvertently, sometimes on purpose. One of my close friends has been pestering me for years to let go of doing theology on the Internet entirely. He's a sociologist, and his point of view is that the inherent limitations of doing theology on the Internet outweigh the advantages. It's too easy to be misunderstood, it's too tempting for "trolls" and would-be Inquisitors to do their thing, and the profound depths of face-to-face communication - so important in dealing with theology and the imago Dei - are simply not possible. I've always had this nagging suspicion that he's right. But being alone out here in California, this has been my only outlet for it. And I've needed this "online diary" of sorts to keep track of my thoughts as my mind has been changing.

Unlike some, I have no aspirations that this blog is going to "change the world". I'm frankly amazed that other people read it on occasion. But it is here, nonetheless. And I think I will keep at it for awhile longer yet. But I do understand why Mike left, and there is always the possibility that, in the future, I may go the same route.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home