Friday, August 26, 2005

Education as Repentance

One of the biggest hurdles facing an intellectually bright theologian is intellectual pride - that once one has a good grasp of your tradition's theological system, you've "got it", and anything that contradicts that or goes beyond it is a distraction at best, incipient (or full-blown) heresy at worst.

Three of the hardest lessons I've had to learn about theology are -

1) I won't know everything, I can't know everyting, and it is folly and pride to assume otherwise.

2) No one Christian tradition has a total lock on the full-blown truth of God. All have their weak points, and all can learn from the others.

3) Sin and depravity apply to intellectual (and yes, theological) pursuits just as much as they do to moral and relational ones. Logic and "common sense" are subordinate to the ego, not the other way around.

I've been forced over the past several years to seriously rethink many of my former theological "certainties" - and the process has been not at all unlike "repentance". So this theme rings home with me in a very special way.

I offer these two web articles on "education as 'repentance'" - well worth bookmarking and coming back to again as needed.

"Repentance" by George Grant (August 23 entry)

JollyBlogger on the same

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home