Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Faces of Evil

A group calling itself “The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe” posted a claim of responsibility for Thursday’s blasts in London, saying they were in retaliation for Britain’s involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Headline from Yahoo News

Know Islam,
No Peace;
No Islam,
Know Peace!
- Comment at Little Green Footballs

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
- the Lord Jesus

For I do not do the good I want (loving Muslims as Christ commanded), but the evil I do not want (wanting to drive the ?#$!##$ Muslims back into the deserts that spawned them) is what I keep on doing.
- The outworking of Romans 7 in my heart at times like this...

2 Comments:

Blogger pgepps said...

I still see no evidence that Christ's commands are inconsistent with the state's use of the "sword" to bomb recalcitrant manslayers back into the Stone Age or beyond, or with our fervently wishing they do so. There's no reason you can't feel *both* that killing a lot of killers would be good (even if the folks who like to live near killers also get hurt) *and* that you would love to share the good news about Christ with them, given a chance.

They're not giving anyone a chance. Or a warning. Or a trial. They just execute at will, and they need to be treated accordingly.

Take care,
PGE

5:26 AM  
Blogger burttd said...

My problem is not with the necessity of fighting these people, but with allowing the struggle to embitter me against them. Or, as Karl Malden put it in the movie Patton, "I do this job (generalship) because I was trained to do it and I have to do it. You (referring to Patton) do it because... you love it."

Others, I see, are in the same boat...

Eternal Perspectives

Cultural Savage

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home