Tuesday, July 12, 2005

As often as you eat this (cracker) and drink this (thimble of Welch's)...

I stumbled across this excellent article on communion today.

People may wonder - why am I, who still somewhat identifies himself as a (b)aptist, a member of an Anglican church? Here's one BIG reason. One wonderful, positive thing I learned in seminary was the importance and mystery of Communion. (And I learned that from Calvin, no less!) And once I saw communion done right (and at a Methodist church, of all places!), there was no going back.

My church back in DC does it pretty close to how he describes it in this article. (Of course, as an Anglican church, we do it *weekly*, the way you ought to do it.) We usually buy a big, fresh loaf of bread from a bakery near Eastern Market. We have a bottle of fine wine for the Communion cup. The bread is given in nice juicy chunks to the communicants. The wine is given in a large, old-fashioned chalice. There are deacons standing by for prayer while the communion is offered. And every Sunday after service, we share a common meal together - it's almost an extension of the service rather than a separate event.

I miss my church - my home. I can't wait to see them in August...

4 Comments:

Blogger pgepps said...

Yeah, grew up in once-a-month grape juice land, and then got spoiled to weekly wine in the PCA church I attended in Waco. I don't mind if folks prefer their "fruit of the vine" immature and nasty-tasting, and I think unleavened bread is more fitting, but for me the weekly, liturgically-significant communion. And yet, my home at the moment is in a church that does quarterly communion, and that's very much my home--and until the church grows a different conscience, once a quarter it shall be.

Cheers,
PGE

6:07 AM  
Blogger Dan Edelen said...

Burttd,

Thanks for the link! I hope all your communions are great feasts.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Travis Prinzi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Travis Prinzi said...

Ok, let's try this commenting again; this has changed since I left blogger.

Burt - I'm in a very similar boat. baptist who bailed 'cause I learned a deeper view of communion in seminary. Good post.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home