Friday, May 27, 2005

The Tongue is a Fire...

A big fight back home between friends apparently boiled over again. I tried to speak as cautiously as I could, and still wound up offending someone. Evidently, badly.

I am beginning to understand why some monastic orders instituted a vow of silence. There are some days when no matter what comes out of your mouth, it's going to cause offense to someone. The combination of our small wisdom in knowing what to say, and the greatness and sensitivity of our egos in judging what we hear, makes for bad communications all around. How easy it is to start a fight with our fellow believers - intentionally and unintentionally!

This time alone out here in CA has been frustrating, but also eye-opening. I'm sometimes shocked at how differently I'm seeing things now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home