Thursday, April 14, 2005

Dispatch from the Trenches

Over the past week, a full-blown blog war has broken out over the latest series of comments at The Internet Monk/Boar's Head Tavern.

Not only the lurkers and trolls, but such esteemed personages as Phil Johnson and James White have dived into the struggle. As I sit in my foxhole, watching the shells scream overhead, I note my observations...

I talked over some of this with my rector yesterday. He thought IMonk was saying some things worth hearing, but that his rhetoric was turning people off. He may have a point there. But the level of harsh criticism in reply to IMonk's writings seems *way* out of proportion to me. Admittedly, I'm not unbiased, but... To quote the great existentialist philosopher Han Solo, "Must've hit pretty close to the mark to get them all riled up like that, eh, kid?"

Honesty check - does yelling at someone and dressing them down for their beliefs *really* accomplish anything?

This is yet another nail in the coffin of my high hopes for the efficacy of abstract theology. And the efficacy of debating theology on the Web, for that matter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home